- garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 cups broccoli florets plus 1/2 cup peeled thinly sliced stalks (from about 8 ounces broccoli)
- 1 cup canned cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained (or organic pino or navy beans)
- fresh basil
- 1/8 cup freshly shredded parmigiano-reggiano
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 16 1/2-inch-thick baguette slices
- sliced roasted red bell peppers
- cracked pepper and kosher salt to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine garlic, oil and crushed red pepper in small custard cup. Cover tightly with foil. Bake until garlic is tender, about 35 minutes. Cool slightly. Arrange baguette slices in single layer on baking sheet. Bake until lightly toasted, about 15 minutes.
Steam broccoli florets and stalks until very tender, about 8 minutes. Rinse with cold water. Drain. Transfer to processor. Add beans, basil, lemon juice, oil-and-garlic mixture. Process until smooth. Still in parmigiano and season broccoli puree with salt and pepper.
Spread broccoli puree atop toasts and top with slices of roasted red bed pepper. Transfer canapés to platter and serve immediately.