So we’ll not all perfect. Below is a recipe for the best homemade french fries I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. A secret tip that many restaurants put to use is batter. Yup, healthy, right? But this wouldn’t be a well-balanced cooking site unless we featured a few naughty sides here and there!
- 2 1/2 lbs peeled potatoes (we used Russets and whites)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dill (optional)
- 1/2 cup water, or as needed
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
Slice the potatoes into French fries and place in cold water to keep them from turning brown as you prepare batter and recipe.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Whilst oil is heating, sift the flower, garlic and onion powders, pepper, paprika and dill into a large bowl. Gradually stir in enough water so that the mixture can be drizzled from a spoon.
Dip potato slices into the batter one at a time (to prevent sticking) and place in the hot oil and do not disturb for the first few minutes. Fry until golden brown and crispy, stirring occasionally. Remove and drain on paper towels.
* This is a modified version of a great recipe I found on allrecipes.com and to be honest, produces some of the best fries I’ve ever had. You can skip the herbs and spices and just use a plan flour batter for the crispiest and lightest fries. Enjoy!