- 10 ounces fettuccine pasta (we purchase it locally from the farmer’s market)
- 1/4 cup Smart Balance Omega with Extra Virgin Olive Oil Buttery Spread (or your favorite margarine)
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup skim or reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup half & half (because it’s a treat)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese (we buy Parmigiano romano)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add fettucine pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
In a large skillet melt the margarine and add the chopped garlic. Cook on low for about 5 minutes, stirring often, making sure not to burn the garlic.
Pour about a 1/4 cup of the milk into a small bowl. Add the egg yolk and beat together; put aside. Pour the remaining milk and half & half into the frying pan. Increase the heat to medium-high. As the cream starts to boil, mix rapidly using a whisk. Slowly add the cream/egg mixture. You do not want the egg to curdle. Continue whisking until well blended.
Add 1 cup of the Parmesan cheese and continue to mix the cream. Pour in the remaining cheese and parsley and mix until smooth. Remove from heat, and serve over the cooked pasta.