There is nothing like roasting your own red bell peppers. The taste is better, there are no artificial ingredients, it’s economical, and best of all, EASY!
Step One: Rub oil on peppers and put them under the broiler until blackened, turn to get all sides.
Step Two: Put the pepper into paper bag, seal and let rest for 15 minutes.
Step Three: Once cool, take the pepper out and pull the green stem out. The core and seeds should easily fall out and the skin will easily peel off.
And it will smell so good!
Here is a basic, nutritious and easy salsa recipe that can be used as the base for other entrées. Use what you have in the house and add to taste. For a really fresh taste,add finely chopped fresh cilantro.
When we use canned veggies, we try to buy organic and generally give the vegetables a light rinse to remove the excess salt.
- 1 can petit diced tomatoes, rinsed (or fresh diced tomatos)
- 2-3 chopped green onions, white and green parts
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 or whole jalapeño (depending on how hot you like it) or pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 freshly squeezed lime juice (or to taste)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper and Kosher salt to taste
Mix all ingredients and refrigerate for one hour for best flavor. Serve with organic tortilla chips. We like to mix yellow corn and blue corn chips for color. Enjoy!